Hope Lutheran history
History of Hope Lutheran
In 1912 some members at Immanuel Lutheran (which has been at 2 Michigan St. NE for over 150 years) asked parish leaders if they could start worship and Christian education in the English language instead of German. Permission was granted and for several years the small group met at Immanuel. In 1914 property on Scribner Avenue was purchased and Hope Lutheran was incorporated.
In 1921 we moved to a downtown location on Ionia Ave. and Michigan St., and remained there for a little more than eight years. The constant growth of the congregation necessitated the construction of a larger church home at what was then the edge of the city, Kellogg and Packard SE, where the street car line stopped running! The cornerstone was set in 1929.
In 1966 an education wing and office area was added on. In 2000 a carport, elevator and interior accessibility improvements were the focus of a building program.
In its 99 year history, Hope has been served by only five pastors. Members from Hope have participated in the ministries of area congregations and several mission starts. At several junctures in its history Hope has considered moving again but has decided to continue doing ministry in Grand Rapids proper and everywhere our members live and work.
We are a congregation of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, regionally associated with the English District which has 160 parishes in seventeen states and Canada.
On October 12, 2014, we celebrated our 100th Anniversary!